Saturday 26 May 2012

A Vintage-y Day

Today I helped out my good friend Elisa, from www.homesweetnest.blogspot.ca run her booth at the Scout market here in Abbotsford. I was so honored to be asked! It was an amazingly beautiful day, here on the west coast, and I must admit that I was slightly overwhelmed by the women that poured through our booth all day long. Especially considering that it was a rare, but welcoming break in the rain that has plagued us in recent days. It was the most amazing experience to meet the incredible women that flowed through the doors today. And I was shocked to see how many of us share a love affair with furniture. It made me inspired and left me in awe at some of the art that people brought to decorate their booths. I was so happy to meet new faces, share in an abundance of stories, and see some familiar faces. Diana, of  vintagecovegirl.blogspot.ca  did an AMAZING job of her booth. Di is from my hometown, and I have yet to see in person, her beautiful pieces. She is highly talented, and her booth was so beautiful, I didn't want to disturb it! 
It was so much fun to put some faces to the names of the blogs that I myself have stumbled upon. Meeting Leanne from www.becauseithinkican.com  today was a joy! Great conversation with a fellow mommy. Let's face it, any chance we can find some sanctuary among friends, is a blessing! Besides the fact that she is super talented, she has some fun and unique ideas. I'm always up for some inspiration.
I picked up the cutest handmade girly items for Miss C at  www.crystalclearboutique.com Honestly, I could have bought one of everything she had! The girls from  www.etsy.com/shop/bookas were just awesome to talk to, and had some really incredible items. Then at one point, I made my way over to  kitcheningwithcarly.com and tried her macarons. I can honestly say, that I have never tried any macaron as good as what that girl puts out! I wish I had met her before Miss C's party! Hello....DELICIOUS!!! 
I fell completely in love with the girls from Red Wicker. www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Wicker/ Her items were really rustic and earthy, and I just LOVE that! 
I only had a few minutes to stop by raggygirlvintage.blogspot.ca, but since I had seen her booth last fall at another market, I have been in love with her style. I have a weakness for anything with font.
Although I didn't have time at this market to stop by and drool over whateverlolawantslolagets.ca  I must admit that I have a serious obsession with her jewelry! It is true vintage, recreated. Her style has my name all over it. I honestly can't get enough of her work. It makes me a little weak in the knees...

Today I felt in my element. I think as I have matured and (gasp) begun to age.....I have started to find myself shifting in my own shoes. Today, I didn't care about what I looked like, or what people really thought of me. I was able to socialize, laugh, joke around and be my loud, dorky self! The best part, was that when I left today, I felt completely, and entirely embraced by an incredible community of women. Let's be really honest here.....that is really tough to come by. Especially coming out of an industry that is geared towards criticism. The beauty industry is not glamorous. It is not kind. It is not forgiving. Today I saw something I haven't seen in  a very long time. Women, coming together to talk, laugh, embrace one another. They came out with their mothers, their children, their sisters and friends.....and more than a few husbands, to celebrate all things vintage-y, and junky. Items that people have discarded because they were no longer shiny and new. Things that have acquired dents, bangs and bruises, and more than enough tarnished silver! When you think about it, isn't that too often how we view the world? We so often over look people who maybe aren't wearing the most fashionable clothes, or trendy hair. We don't take the time to invest in people.  Who hasn't had their share of dents and bruises in life? What if we looked past a persons past? What if we appreciated the dents that we have all acquired? We all have them. That's what has made us all the amazing people we have become. 
So tonight, as I exhale with an humble sense of gratefulness, and an inspiration for my future, I wonder aloud....what makes you fulfilled? What about the imperfections in your life? Are they an overlooked source of happiness? 
This journey that I have set out on, just a few short months ago, has turned me down a path, I never thought I would find. Slowly but surely, I am embracing my authentic self. I am finding my kindness, my gratitude, my blessings, my honesty. But more importantly....my happiness. And that is something that does not have a price tag. It can not be bought at a store. Unless it's a thrift store....

2 comments:

  1. It was so great to meet you Desja!! And thank you for mentioning me!! ...I also come from the beauty industry, as an esthetician, and it's such a relief to not feel like I'm being graded on my put-togetherness, skin, nails etc at all times... I love pulling on my painting clothes (sweats!!) and just being myself with my kids during the day! I look forward to getting to know you better!! xo, Leanne @ www.becauseithinkican.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Leanne! I was so excited to see you on here. I agree! I love days when I can wear my "grubbies" and just be me!

    ReplyDelete